Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks


Title: The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks By: E Lockhart
Genre: teen fiction
Rating: 3 starts out of 5.

Way original, smart and funny. Highly recommend for anyone who likes clever, smart teen reads. 

As a boarding school fable, THE DISREPUTABLE HISTORY OF FRANKIE LANDAU-BANKS works pretty well. As a girl power social manifesto, not so much. Lockhart seems to be grasping for a Message -- she throws in class lectures, P.G. Wodehouse, and one of Frankie's papers on the Cacophony Society (which I REALLY enjoyed).

 An omniscient narrator informs readers of Frankie's deviousness (that’s putting it lightly). Frankie's greatest achievements are putting bras on school portraits, sitting at the senior table when she's a sophomore (gasp), and making up words (a self-conscious, albeit whimsical, mannerism that undermines her insistence that people take her seriously). 

Read this novel for its clever dialog -- I LOVED this book for its fast-past witty dialog and I was fully willing to give it 5 stars. The occasional psychological insights I felt really added a lot of the novel. The elaborate pranks too were fun, but as Frankie became more obsessed with her pranks and her "Message" (whatever it was) she became less likable. That's why instead of getting five stars this book gets only three. This story starts very strong but by the end readers may feel not quite satisfied. .

No comments:

Post a Comment