Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Battlefield of the Mind Book Review

Battlefield of the Mind By: Joyce Meyer Book Review
Genre: Adult Nonfiction, Christian Living, Psychology
Rating: Five out of Five stars

Intro
First to know, this is a religious-based book. The author, Joyce Meyer, is a popular Christian author and speaker.  She is both a bestseller author and well known television personality. Her television and radio programs air in many languages and countries. She has 2.58 Million followers on Twitter, so bottom life is, she's big. Joyce has written many books on Christianity, and Christian living "Battlefield of the Mind" is perhaps the most popular one.  To be honest I avoided reading this book for a long time. I was sure this book was full of pop psychology or unhelpful spiritualism. But the book's popularity finally convinced me that I need to actually read the book and make my own decision on it.

Summary
Battlefield of the Mind is about solving some of the common problems we all encounter in life, such as depression, anger, or worry, by getting you to examine the way you think about the everyday events in life, or as the book puts it, "you need to begin to think about what you are thinking about." And that's basically the goal of the whole book.

Other major points include:

-our actions are a direct result of our thoughts. 
-thoughts take place in your mind, so your mind is in essence "the battlefield"
-if you have a negative mind, you will have a negative life
-on the other hand, if you renew you mind according to God's Word, you will have a positive life

Thoughts
Much of the book is devoted to getting the reader to change their thinking and discusses how to tear down the "strongholds" that the devil tries to set up in the mind. Joyce uses parables and many personal examples along the way- which makes the book very interesting to read. Although when I began reading it I had my doubts--I was willing to pass it off as fake/pop psychology, but as I read through I found Joyce's points useful. So now that I finished it let me say that I personally found it very helpful in my own battles over my mindfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment